2026 is the 250th anniversary of the United States! This is a once-in-a-generation opportunity that allows New Jerseyans to create a lasting legacy. RevolutionNJ is the formal state initiative for the commemoration of the 250th and a partnership between the New Jersey Historical Commission, a division of the New Jersey Department of State, and the nonprofit Crossroads of the American Revolution Association, Inc.
RevolutionNJ will advance the role that history plays in public discourse, community engagement, education, tourism, and scholarship in New Jersey. Their primary goal is to tell a diverse and inclusive story about America’s past that invites participation from all New Jerseyans. RevolutionNJ is inviting counties and municipalities to join them by facilitating new partnerships, programs, and events to engage local stakeholders.
Revolution NJ is calling on all municipalities to pass a resolution to officially become a RevolutionNJ community (view a draft resolution [PDF]). Once passed, email RevolutionNJ to let them know and they will add your community to their growing list of RevolutionNJ communities featured on the RevolutionNJ website.
In addition to passing a resolution, there are many ways to become a RevolutionNJ community.
- Highlight and explore diverse stories in your community.
- Connect and partner with local history organizations so they can better attract, engage, and serve visitors before, during, and after the anniversary.
- Promote heritage tourism to your community by using the 250th as an opportunity to positively impact economic and community development.
- Engage the RevolutionNJ’s educational resources to ensure that your schools are teaching the most up-to-date approaches to history.
- Use the 250th for civic engagement, helping members of your community understand how the complexity of our history helps us to respond to the present and prepare for the future.
- Invest and generate funding for history in your community.
Contact: Lori Buckelew, Deputy Executive Director & Director of Government Affairs, firstname.lastname@example.org, 609-695-3481, x112.