Governor Murphy signed the New Jersey Cannabis Regulatory, Enforcement Assistance, and Marketplace Modernization Act into law, legalizing and regulating cannabis use and possession for adults 21 years and older and decriminalizing marijuana and hashish possession, A-1897 (P.L.2021,c.19). The Governor also signed S-3454 (P.L.2021,c.25), clarifying marijuana and cannabis use and possession penalties for individuals younger than 21 years old.
Medicinal and Recreational Dispensaries
Currently, there are 38 dispensaries open in the state of New Jersey. Of these, 13 are exclusively for medical cannabis patients. There are 29 recreational cannabis dispensaries now open in the state, 28 that have expanded medical cannabis businesses into the recreational marketplace and one recreational-only cannabis retailer.
- According to the New Jersey Cannabis Regulatory Commission (NJ-CRC), as of April 13, 2023, they have approved 98 annual awards for cultivation, manufacturing, retail, and microbusinesses.
- For a rundown of the current dispensaries, visit NJ-CRC's Find a Dispensary directory.
- CRC Regulations answer Frequently Asked Questions for Municipalities on the cannabis market components.
Attorney General's Resources
Attorney General's office maintains the Marijuana Decriminalization & Cannabis Legalization Resource Page intended to provide resources and information for police and prosecutors navigating the laws and policy. The Resource Page provides access to AG Directive 2021-1, governing the dismissals of certain pending marijuana charges, and access to interim guidance for law enforcement officers regarding marijuana decriminalization.
The Attorney General's office has also produced a downloadable Q&A page on Cannabis topics.
Updated: June 27, 2023
- Can cannabis facilities operate within “Drug-Free School Zones?”
- Can a municipality adopt an ordinance regulating cannabis delivery services?
- What kind of tax can a municipality impose on cannabis establishments? And, do vertically integrated facilities avoid certain local taxes?
- What are the projected revenues of the local transfer and user tax?
- What kind of license does a cannabis testing facility require? Can a municipality prevent cannabis testing facilities operating within their boundaries the same they do other license holders?
- Can currently licensed alternative treatment centers begin offering their services for non-medicinal purposes? If yes, is municipal approval required prior to the alternative treatment center expandin
- Can a municipality prohibit the consumption of cannabis on public property and in public places?
- Will cannabis cultivators be eligible for farmland assessment?
- Can cannabis be cultivated on preserved farmland?
- Is the growing and processing of cannabis eligible for Right-to-Farm protection?