2020 Census Information
On April 26, 2021, the U.S. Census Bureau released census apportionment data.
According to the America Counts staff, nationally:
- Population is up 7.4% to 331.4 million.
- Race and ethnicity in the U.S. is: White alone 61.6%; Black alone 12.4%; Hispanic 18.7%; Asian alone 6%; American Indian and Alaska Native alone 1.1%; Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone 0.2%; Some Other Race alone 8.4%; Two or More Races 10.2%).
- Diversity Index is 61.1%, up from 54.9%.
- The under-18 population is down 1.4% and adult population is up 10.1%.
- Housing units are up 6.7% and vacancies are down to 9.7%.
Specifically for New Jersey:
- The total New Jersey population count was 9,288,994, a Numeric Change in Population (2010-20) of 497,100 (up 5.7%).
- Housing Units: 3,761,229, with a Housing Unit Vacancy Rate (2020) of 8.9, marking a 5.8% change.
- Race and ethnicity in New Jersey is: White alone 55%, Black alone 13.1%; Hispanic 21.6%; Asian alone 10%; American Indian and Alaska Native alone .6%; Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone 0%; Some Other Race alone 11.3%; Two or More Races 9.7%).
The 2020 Census counted every person living in the United States and the five U.S. territories. Wrangling COVID challenges and new technology options including the premiere of online response options, the 24th decennial census in U.S. history provided information on apportionment counts, redistricting data, and public use files.
For more specific 2020 Census information regarding New Jersey visit the New Jersey: 2020 Census page.
For estimated municipal populations, download America Counts' Excel file.
- United State Census Bureau
- NJ Department of State NJ Census 2020 page
- Press Release: Acting Gov. Oliver Highlights Census Kickoff and Countdown to Census 2020
- Five Ways to Prepare Your City for Next Year’s Census (NLC Blog)
- 2020 Census Presentation, March 8, 2019
- Supreme Court to Review Census Citizenship Question, NLC Blog Post, 2/15/19
- The 2020 Census Local Update of Census Addresses (LUCA) Operation (for 2020 LUCA Flyer Version 1) (PDF)
- 2020 Census Update on Registration Closing
- LUCA Messaging Newsletter, April 2017 (PDF)