2020 Census Information
"Census Day" is April 1, 2020. As the 2020 Census is approaching, municipalities have an opportunity to create an accurate population picture that will impact planning on the local, state, and federal levels for years to come. Visit this page often for updates on how municipalities can best prepare for the Census and utilize the information delivered.
The NJLM affiliate, National League of Cities, has prepared a 36-age census Municipal Action Guide that can be downloaded from Cities Count: Preparing for the 2020 Census.
The guide includes the following sections:
- City Census Checklist
- Census Timeline for Cities
- Fast Facts & Talking POints for Constituents
- The "Citizenship Question"
- And more...
LINK: Explainer Video From NLC
The National League of Cities has created a motion graphic video on the 2020 Census. This explainer video seeks to maintain interest and promote best practices around the Census, all while providing you with a resource to send out to your community and network.
- NJ Department of State NJ Census 2020 page
- Press Release: Acting Gov. Oliver Highlights Census Kickoff and Countdown to Census 2020
- Five Ways to Prepare Your City for Next Year’s Census (NLC Blog)
- 2020 Census Presentation, March 8, 2019
- Supreme Court to Review Census Citizenship Question, NLC Blog Post, 2/15/19
- The 2020 Census Local Update of Census Addresses (LUCA) Operation (for 2020 LUCA Flyer Version 1) (PDF)
- 2020 Census Update on Registration Closing
- LUCA Messaging Newsletter, April 2017 (PDF)