The League is here to help local governments managing public health crises.
The Governor declared a State of Emergency and a Public Health Emergency on March 9, 2020, and has since issued a number of Executive Orders to flatten the curve of coronavirus. As the rate of infection and hospitalization dropped, the Governor loosened restrictions. Some restrictions, including the number of people allowable at indoor and outdoor gatherings, were rolled back in response to increased rates of transmission in mid-summer.
A multi-stage approach to executive a responsible and strategic economic restart was announced on May 18. New Jersey ended maximum restrictions and moved to Stage One of The Road Back: Restoring Economic Health Through Public Health, May 18, 2020.
On June 9, he lifted the stay-at-home order and announced ongoing expansions of the number of people allowed at indoor and outdoor gatherings. He extended the Public Health emergency for 30 days on August 27.
On June 15, 2020, New Jersey entered Stage Two of recovery, including outdoor dining for restaurants and indoor, non-essential retail as of June 15. Beginning on June 22, barbershops and salons will be able to reopen. In the period to follow, New Jersey will work toward the gradual opening of personal care, gyms, and health clubs, as data supports these actions.
These actions and other recovery efforts are assisted by EO 131 Creating a commission charged with advising the administration for the timing and preparation for New Jersey’s recovery for the COVID-19 shutdown. A Restart and Recovery Advisory Council was also created to advise state government on economic matters impacted by COVID-19.
Here we provide references for information and assistance.
Local Government & Business
While Gov. Murphy is still encouraging work from home where possible, many municipalities are responding to the needs of their communities by opening up to varying extents.
- NJ Department of Health Contract Tracing Dashboard; Recommendations for Local Health Departments for K-12 Schools
- Travel Advisory voluntary 14-day self-quarantine states
- NJ Department of Labor: Returning to Work: Health, Safety, Childcare and & Caregiving
- Civil Service Commission Information for County and Local Governments Under the Jurisdiction of the New Jersey Civil Service Commission
- The Road Back: One Jersey Pledge Employers/Employees flier; Business/Customers flier
- 5 Things You Should Know About Civil Rights and COVID-19
- Municipal Responses and operations
- Op-Ed June 15 NJ Spotlight by NJ Urban Mayors: One Size Does Not Fit All for Reopening Urban New Jersey
- New Jersey State Library: Library reopening plans & guidance
- New Jersey Business and Industry Association Back to Work Best Practices
Local and state officials, in consultation with federal officials as appropriate, and based on the scope of the COVID-19 outbreak and the severity of illness, will have to make decisions on the implementation of interventions.
Communities can take measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19, coronavirus. Community-based interventions including school dismissals, event cancellations, social distancing, and creating employee plans to work remotely are helping to flatten the COVID-19 curve.
The following are tools for local officials.
New Jersey Resources
- Communication from the League of Municipalities
- NJLM COVID-19 Grants News Flash
- Munis Are Essential Press Conference with League Officials, Mayors, June 23, 2020
- Update on COVID-19 State and Local Update March 26, 2020, NJLM webinar presentation
- New Jersey COVID-19 Information Hub; SURVEY for Businesses & Nonprofits COVID-19 Reopening/Recovery Survey
- NJ Office of the Governor YouTube Channel with coronavirus press conferences, child care subsidy program announcement
- Governor’s Restart & Recovery CommissionGovernor’s Restart & Recovery Commission; Restart and Recovery Advisory Council
- The Road Back: Restoring Economic Health Through Public Health
- NJ Court closings state, county and local court closing information center
- NJ Department of Banking & Insurance response to COVID-19, Bulletin to banking and insurance entities, Banking bulletin, Mortgage and loan servicers other regulated entities bulletin
- NJ Department of Children and Families guidance
- NJ Civil Service Commission Guidelines for State Employee Leave Time and FAQs
- NJ Department of Community Affairs (DCA) Guidance for Remote Public Meetings in New Jersey,
- NJ DCA DLGS Guidance For Property Tax Interest Rate Reduction; NJ Division of Local Government Services Health Emergency Public Meeting Guidance and Emergency Procurement Guidance
- NJ DCA Division of Fire Safety Bureau of Fire Code Enforcement COVID-19 Concerns
- NJ Department of Consumer Affairs Resources for Consumers
- NJ Department of Education requirements for public health-related school closures
- NJ Department of Environmental Protection Mask Up Program & Materials; Division of Parks and Forestry State Parks Closures
- NJ Department of Health COVID-2019 resource page; Outdoor Pool Standards, co-pay waiver information, NJ COVID-19 Dashboard, and Law Enforcement COVID-19 information sharing
- NJ Department of Human Services regarding testing payments; Novel Coronavirus Information Page
- NJ Department of Labor benefits, employment, and the coronavirus
- NJ Department of Law and Public Safety Administrative Order on Essential Retail Businesses, Beaches, and Boardwalks
- NJ Department of Treasury May 22, 2020 Budget Update
- NJ Division of Pensions and Benefits, SHBP/SEHBP COVID-19 Response
- NJ EDA Initiatives to Support Small Businesses; Goldman Sachs, Pursuit Provide $10 million for NJ Small Business; NJ Business guidance
- NJ Government Records Council special statement on OPRA requests
- NJ Job Portal to connect out-of-work residents with opportunities in critical industries.
- NJ Municipal Excess Liability Joint Insurance Fund (MEL JIF) COVID-19 resource center
- NJ MVC Agency, Inspection Station Closures
- NJ State, County, and Local Libraries’ closures
- Locations of COVID-19 testing centers
- FEMA Assistance information on reimbursements for local governments’ emergency costs; FEMA Approval for Non-Congregate Sheltering in Response to COVID-19; FEMA public assistance grants.
- US Census Bureau Covid-19 Demographic and Economic Resources
- CDC-Response page what you should know, information, and situation updates. Face covering guidance
- Executive Office of the President Guidance on Federal Telework/Flexibilities in Response to coronavirus memo
- HUD resource page including COVID-19-related rule changes and homelessness response
- Department of Justice Report COVID-19 Fraud
- Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- Department of Treasury response to CARES bill; Reporting IRS-Related Coronavirus Scams; Guidance and FAQ regarding Coronavirus Refielf Fund direct payments.
- CDC- Implementation of Mitigation Strategies for Communities with Local COVID-19 Transmission
- CDC – FAQs and Answers and downloadable workplace, school, and home guidance.
- CDC – Coronavirus Disease 2019 updated regularly at noon Mondays through Fridays. Numbers close out at 4 p.m. the day before reporting
- CDC Communication Resources Free resources including video, fact sheets, and posters available for use and distribution
- Social Security online services or call 1-800-772-1213
- OSHA Preparing workplaces and other resources; Workplace COVID-19 Resources and Information
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences COVID-19 in the workplace
- NJ Chamber of Commerce: Buy NJ - Support Local Businesses
- World Health Organization rolling updates on COVID-19 and situation reports
- Government Technology Resource list of tools for leaders’ responses, including model policies and technology solutions.
- International City/County Management Association Coronavirus resource page with considerations for local governments
- Bloomberg Philanthropies Coronavirus Local Response Initiative helping cities respond to the coronavirus
- Amtrak travel guidance
- NJ Transit precautionary measures
- NLC Answers to key questions on the Families First Coronavirus Response Act
- NLC and Bloomberg Philanthropies COVID-19: Local Action Tracker
- New Jersey Coalition to End Domestic Violence: Increasing Survivor Safety During COVID-19
- New Jersey Pandemic Relief Fund
- New Jersey Community Capital’s Garden State Relief Fund
- New Jersey Healthcare Quality Institute COVID-19 Resources Page
- AARP’s COVID-19 Older Adult Response Initiative
Guidance for Local Officials:
NLC Survey Results on how residents are feeling about local, state, and federal response to COVID-19.
Response Resources for Local Leaders from the National League of Cities
Memorandum on identification of essential critical infrastructure workers during COVID-19 response from Christopher C. Krebs, Director, Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA), Department of Homeland Security.
Polling Locations Recommended Precautions for Preventing Spread of COVID-19 in Election Polling Locations, including Cleaning and Disinfection
Sustainable Jersey 2020 Certification cycle changes
EMS & 911 Interim Guidance for EMS Systems and 911 Public Safety Answering Points for COVID-19 in the United States
Risk Assessment Assessing & Managing Risk Based on Different Exposures to COVID-19
State Quarantine & Isolation Statutes from National Conference of State Legislatures
OSHA & COVID-19 OSHA issues pertaining to coronavirus from Genova Burns
Community Transportation Association of America COVID-19 Resource Center
Many of the same precautions taken to avoid the flu can be taken to help avoid the spread of COVID-19. One of the best ways to help prevent the spread of any illness, including COVID-19 is proper handwashing. Please see the CDC’s website for the most effective handwashing techniques and how to promote them to your community. VIDEO: What You Need to Know About Handwashing
Preparing Local Government Workplaces from the University of North Carolina School of Government
Gatherings & Community Events Interim Guidance: Get Your Mass Gatherings or Large Community Events Ready for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)