The League is here to help local governments managing public health crises.
On March 21, 2020 Governor Murphy signed Executive Order 107 directing residents to stay at home until further notice. He also signed Executive Order 108 invalidating any county or municipal restriction that in any way will or might conflict with any of the provisions of Executive Order No. 107.
In an effort to respond quickly to COVID-19, Gov. Murphy declared a State of Emergency and a Public Health Emergency on March 9, 2020, to help deploy every available resource across every level of government. DOWNLOAD: Executive Order No. 103. On March 16, the Governor also noted that gatherings larger than 50 people will be prohibited. Gyms will close 8 p.m., March 16, and remain closed moving forward. Bars and Restaurants will close at 8 p.m. moving forward, with the ability to re-open each day to offer take-out and delivery services. Food establishments will be prohibited from offering eat-in services. DOWNLOAD: Executive Order No. 104
Here we share the latest concerns and provide references for information and assistance.
Local and state officials, in consultation with federal officials as appropriate, and based on the scope of the COVID-19 outbreak and the severity of illness, will have to make decisions on the implementation of interventions.
Communities can take measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19, coronavirus. Community-based interventions including school dismissals, event cancellations, social distancing, and creating employee plans to work remotely can help slow the spread of COVID-19.
Many of the same precautions taken to avoid the flu can be taken to help avoid the spread of COVID-19. One of the best ways to help prevent the spread of any illness, including COVID-19 is proper handwashing. Please see the CDC’s website for the most effective handwashing techniques and how to promote them to your community. VIDEO: What You Need to Know About Handwashing
The following are tools for local officials.
New Jersey Resources
- Communication from the League of Municipalities
- Update on COVID-19 State and Local Update March 26, 2020 NJLM webinar presentation
- New Jersey COVID-19 Information Hub
- NJ Office of the Governor YouTube Channel with coronavirus press conferences, child care subsidy program announcement
- NJ Court closings state, county and local court closing information center
- NJ Department of Banking & Insurance response to COVID-19, Bulletin to banking and insurance entities, Banking bulletin, Mortgage and loan servicers other other regulated entities bulletin
- NJ Civil Service Commission Guidelines for State Employee Leave Time and FAQs
- NJ Department of Community Affairs (DCA) Guidance for Remote Public Meetings in New Jersey,
- NJ DCA NJ Division of Local Government Services Health Emergency Public Meeting Guidance and Emergency Procurement Guidance
- NJ DCA Division of Fire Safety Bureau of Fire Code Enforcement COVID-19 Concerns
- NJ Department of Consumer Affairs Resources for Consumers
- NJ Department of Education requirements for public health-related school closures
- NJ Department of Health COVID-2019 resource page; co-pay waiver information, NJ COVID-19 Dashboard, and Law Enforcement COVID-19 information sharing
- NJ Department of Human Services regarding testing payments
- NJ Department of Labor benefits, employment, and the coronavirus
- NJ Department of Law and Public Safety Administrative Order on Essential Retail Businesses, Beaches, and Boardwalks
- NJ Division of Pensions and Benefits, SHBP/SEHBP COVID-19 Response
- NJ EDA Initiatives to Support Small Businesses; NJ Business guidance
- NJ State, County, and Local Libraries’ closures
- NJ Job Portal to connect out-of-work residents with opportunities in critical industries.
- FEMA Assistance information on reimbursements for local governments’ emergency costs
- CDC-Response page what you should know, information, and situation updates
- Executive Office of the President Guidance on Federal Telework/Flexibilities in Response to coronavirus memo
- HUD resource page including COVID-19-related rule changes and homelessness response
- Department of Justice Report COVID-19 Fraud
- Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- CDC- Implementation of Mitigation Strategies for Communities with Local COVID-19 Transmission
- CDC – FAQs and Answers and downloadable workplace, school, and home guidance.
- CDC – Coronavirus Disease 2019 updated regularly at noon Mondays through Fridays. Numbers close out at 4 p.m. the day before reporting
- CDC Communication Resources Free resources including video, fact sheets, and posters available for use and distribution
- Social Security online services or call 1-800-772-1213
- OSHA Preparing workplaces and other resources
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences COVID-19 in the workplace
- World Health Organization rolling updates on COVID-19 and situation reports
- International City/County Management Association Coronavirus resource page with considerations for local governments
- Bloomberg Philanthropies Coronavirus Local Response Initiative helping cities respond to the coronavirus
- Amtrak travel guidance
- NJ Transit precautionary measures
- NLC Answers to key questions on the Families First Coronavirus Response Act
- NLC and Bloomberg Philanthropies COVID-19: Local Action Tracker
- New Jersey Coalition to End Domestic Violence: Increasing Survivor Safety During COVID-19
- New Jersey Pandemic Relief Fund
Guidance for Local Officials:
NLC Survey Results on how residents are feeling about local, state, and federal response to COVID-19.
Response Resources for Local Leaders from the National League of Cities
Memorandum on identification of essential critical infrastructure workers during COVID-19 response from Christopher C. Krebs, Director, Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA), Department of Homeland Security.
Polling Locations Recommended Precautions for Preventing Spread of COVID-19 in Election Polling Locations, including Cleaning and Disinfection
Sustainable Jersey 2020 Certification cycle changes
EMS & 911 Interim Guidance for EMS Systems and 911 Public Safety Answering Points for COVID-19 in the United States
Gatherings & Community Events Interim Guidance: Get Your Mass Gatherings or Large Community Events Ready for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Risk Assessment Assessing & Managing Risk Based on Different Exposures to COVID-19
State Quarantine & Isolation Statutes from National Conference of State Legislatures
Preparing Local Government Workplaces from the University of North Carolina School of Government
OSHA & COVID-19 OSHA issues pertaining to coronavirus from Genova Burns